July 02, 2010

Longhui; Long-Huways From Home

I got my acceptance letter a couple months ago to teach English in China, and I was incredibly excited and started to think about all of the different people I would meet and what places I would try to see. A couple days ago I got my placement letter explaining where and when I would be and who I would be teaching:

"We're very excited to inform you of your school placement in China for the Fall 2010 semester.

Your location is: Longhui, Hunan Province
Name of School: Longhui #2 Middle School
Age of Students: Middle School, 11-16

You two will be the only foreign teachers at this school teaching conversational English."

Aint it great? I can hardly wait to begin planning lessons and packing, but I don't leave until the 16th of August, and I still have another month left of Summer semester at BYU-Idaho! I will be returning the 31st of December, New Years Eve!

I am really excited to go, but as the time gets nearer I'm discovering that I'm actually a little nervous too. I'm not sure what I need to plan lesson-wise or how to go about it. Will the kids like me? I have to admit that I'm really (really) going to miss Jeff. I see him everyday and we spend a lot of time together; he is my best friend! How I'll miss that kid!

Despite these little anxieties, I'm sure I'll have the time of my life, and, most importantly, learn valuable life lessons. I'm aiming to become a better teacher and become more confident with reaching out and beyond my comfort zone. I also aim to influence the lives of my students for the better and, though I am not allowed to teach them about the gospel, try to teach it through what I say and do.

Until then, I'd better get some homework done; it comes by the bucket loads and I never seem to get enough done!

<3 Tessa Dior

1 comment:

Bernie said...

This will be so fun! Post lots of pictures on Facebook! I miss you, Tesser Bo Besser...