January 08, 2010

Professional Fool

Jokes, humor, to jest. All have a common purpose, to cause laughter. And, as we all know, laughter is the best medicine. The tricky part is learning how and when to crack a joke. You would think a joke is simply a joke, but there are certain "rules" that make our jests especially funny. Poetry and joking have similar rules, isn't that crazy? The common rules are timing, precision, synthesis, and rhythm.

Side note #1: Jesters made humor their way of life. Wouldn't that be an interesting career? Doing a little bit of research I learned that one definition of a jester is a "professional fool". Who knew being a fool was worthy of means for a living? There are so many of us fools out there, maybe we should look into our hidden (or sometimes not so hidden) potential for being a professional, and expand on it.


But learning about the mechanics of humor, doesn't make humor seem so easy-going and lovable. This reminds me of many of my friends who love music, but when I offer to teach them the theory behind it (how to read, write, and understand it) they shy away. I've heard several excuses like, "You don't need to learn all that to enjoy music", "I can write songs by ear", or "It's too complicated, I'll never be able to innocently listen to music and enjoy it if I know about everything that's going on." In a way it's true though. The more educated you are on a subject, the harder it is to please you, but I believe that this attitude is a sign of pride. But that is another discussion for another day.

Side note #2: Spiritually, knowing that God knows everything about everything, the most educated being in existence, it's incredible how he loves us. Think of the art professor, after years of experience has developed a critical eye, only giving his efforts to projects that he thinks are worth his time. God, gives his efforts to us freely, and encourages more from us.

Well, for your amusement, here are a few jokes to get you through the day. :)

A young brunette goes into the doctor's office and says that her body hurts wherever she touches it. "Impossible," says the doctor. "Show me."
She takes her finger and pushes her elbow and screams in agony. She pushes her knee and screams, pushes her ankle and screams and so on it goes.
The doctor says, "You're not really a brunette are you?"
She says, "No, I'm really a blonde."
"I thought so," he says. "Your finger is broken."

Mexicans cross the border 1....2....and 4 at one time, never 3. why?
Because the sign says - no tres passing.
A woman was telling her friend , "It is I who made my husband a millionaire."
"And what was he before you married him?" Asked the friend.
The woman replied, " A multi-millionaire".
*What do you call a dear with no eyes?
"Noeyedear"

What are some of your favorite jokes?

4 comments:

Becky said...

I recently read in one of the weird books I check out from the library that jesters were a lot of the time appointed as jesters out of some sort of punishment. Say the king wants to ultimately humiliate someone who insulted him somehow, instead of killing him right off, he makes him a fool and if the fool performs admirably, the fool is aloud to live longer, if not, the trip to the noose is just a lot shorter.

Becky said...

Oh, I forgot, a joke...well, I don't have one but I do have one of my favorite quotes on hand from my favorite Office charachter, Dwight:
I wish I could menstruate. If I could menstruate, I wouldn’t have to deal with idiotic calendars anymore. I’d just be able to count down from my previous cycle. Plus I’d be more in tune with the moon and the tides.

Also: "Dwight, why do you keep a diary?" "To keep secrets from my computer."

Jenea Fultz said...

Geeves, take off my hat... I think you should tell that one...you're better at typing it than i am i'm sure!

Tessa Dior said...

I just recently saw a few episodes of the office! Oh that show had some really funny moments. :)
As for the Jeeves joke:
A very wealthy woman returned home from a socially successful evening to find her butler dutifully awaiting her return. The woman turns to Jeeves and says,
"Jeeves? Take off my hat."
At once he did as he was bid, with a polite, "Yes madam."
"Jeeves? Take off my coat"
The butler nodded his head with a quick, "Yes madam", and did as he was told.
"Jeeves? Take off my shoes".
Once again came the "Yes madam" and did as was ordered.
"Jeeves? Take off my dress."
And as the butler hurried to do so, the woman adds,
"And Jeeves? Don't wear my clothes anymore."